Spectrawhiz Physician Console
Spectra Whiz Technologies is a leading Medical Transcription unit located at Indore, India. It has many clients including doctors, polyclinic and hospitals based in USA. Their job involves transcription of recorded audio file into word files.
Basic Preliminaries Required
- Spectra Whiz Technologies required a solution to automate its file transfer process i.e. they needed an intelligent software that would be installed in the physician’s PC in USA and would detect any new USB drives connected to it.
- After the new USB drive has been detected as the physician’s Dictaphone the software automatically copies the transcripted audio files in it to the Hard Drive and then uploads it on the Spectra Whiz server.
- After some time, which would be set by the physician, the software would check the Spectra Whiz server for any new doc files and if any new files are found then the software would download it to the physician’s PC for further use of the physician.
Challenges to be Conquered
- The physician in USA would have to learn how to use the File Transfer Protocol Software to upload the files to the Spectra Whiz Technologies Server i.e., he would have to learn to upload it to the Server and later check the Server for any new transcripted doc files uploaded on it and then download it through the File Transfer Protocol Server on his PC for further use.
The system had to be designed keeping in mind the non-technical aspects of the physician in mind i.e. the physician would not have to learn to use the elusive and time consuming File Transfer Protocol (FTP) Software.
- Spectra Whiz Technologies needed a software that was easy to install i.e. the physician could install the software only on a double click.
Spectra Whiz Technologies needed a software that even could even ease the task of the polyclinic manager by synchronizing the files of all the physicians. They also needed a software to detect any physician’s Dictaphone uniquely. It should identify doctor’s Dictaphone and transfer the newly available files to the firm’s servers.
The Manager software should also routinely check for newly available transcripted audio files from the PC’s of all the physicians and download it to the server for all the physicians separately by identifying them uniquely for that particular physician.
Antasoft Technologies provided a software that detected any new USB drive/ Dictaphone connected to the PC. When the software detected any new USB drive it asked the doctor whether it is his Dictaphone or any other USB drive. Once the doctor approves it as his Dictaphone the software creates a unique detection file in the Dictaphone through which the software would detect the Dictaphone automatically the next time it is connected to the PC. The software next checks for any transcripted audio files in the Dictaphone, once found they are then copied to a temporary location on the Hard Drive. After all the files have been copied, they are then uploaded to the Spectra Whiz Technologies server through File Transfer Protocol (FTP) Software and through the User name and Password assigned for that particular doctor. The software later after some time, which would be set by the doctor, would check the Spectra Whiz Technologies Server through his User name and Password for any new transcripted doc files uploaded. If there are new files found on the server then the software will automatically download these files through the File Transfer Protocol (FTP) Software to the physician’s PC which would be available to the physician for further use.
We selected dot net technology to develop the software as dot net technology software are easy to install rather than Visual Basic software which are very complicated to install.
We provided a Manager Console (Spectra Whiz Manager Console) which is an advanced version of PC. This product has been designed to ease the task of the polyclinic manager by synchronizing the files of all the physicians.
The magic of Manager Console is that, whenever the manager inserts any physician’s Dictaphone, it uniquely identifies doctor’s Dictaphone and transfers the newly available files to the firm’s servers. It also routinely checks for newly available transcripted files and download them for a respective physician.
- The software makes extensive use of Multi-threading and WINSOCK technology.
- It is often observed that doctors are not willing to follow the step learning curve required to learn the elusive and time consuming FTP software.
- This software relieves doctors and facility managers by providing a highly automated solution for their every day synchronization needs of dictated files and transcripted files.
- Using the USB mass storage recognition, flexible time scheduler, auto-check feature, and built-in auto resume support ensures failure free and timely delivery of data.
- The files which were earlier transmitted after few hours are now available in real time. It has been studied that the task which was complicated and took hours to complete is now automated and takes under 20 minutes.